Pages

Sunday, August 5, 2018

Duty Honor Country - Audio (P08 - 10)




And what sort of soldiers //are those you are to lead? //




Are they reliable? //




Are they brave? //




Are they capable of victory? //




Their story is known to all of you. //




It is the story /of the American //man-at-arms. //




My estimate of him //was formed on the battlefield //many,/many years ago,//and has never changed. //





I regarded him //then as I regard him now //–




as one /of the world's /noblest figures,//




not only /as one /of the finest /military characters,//




but also /as one /of the most stainless. //





His name and fame /are the birthright /of every /American citizen. /





In his youth and strength,//his love and loyalty,//he gave /all /that mortality can give. ///





He needs no eulogy from me //or from any other man. //




He has written /his own history /and written it /in red /on his enemy's breast. //




But when I think //of his patience under adversity,//




of his courage under fire,//




and of his modesty in victory,//


  
I am filled /with an emotion /of admiration I cannot put into words. //





He belongs to history //as furnishing /one /of the greatest examples /of successful /patriotism. //





He belongs to posterity //as the instructor //of future generations //in the principles of liberty and freedom. //





He belongs to the present,to us,//by his virtues /and by his achievements. /





In 20 campaigns,//on a hundred battlefields,//around a thousand campfires,//





I have witnessed //that enduring fortitude,//





that patriotic /self-abnegation,//





and that /invincible /determination//





which have carved his statue /in the hearts of his people. //





From one end of the world to the other // has drained deep //the chalice of courage. ///





As I listened to those songs,//




in memory's eye //     





I could see those //staggering columns //of the First World War,//





bending under soggy packs,//on many a weary march //





from dripping /dusk /to drizzling dawn,//





slogging /ankle-deep /through the mire of shell-shocked roads,//





to form /grimly for the attack,//





blue-lipped,//covered with sludge and mud,//




chilled by the wind and rain,//driving home to their objective,//


  
and for many,//to the judgment seat of God. //



No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured

Duty Honor Country - Audio (P26-30)