Pages

Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Duty Honor Country - Audio (P26-30)




The shadows //are lengthening for me. //




The twilight is here. //




My days of old //have vanished//tone and tint. //




They have gone //glimmering //




through the dreams //of things that were. //




Their memory //is one //of wondrous beauty//




watered /by tears//




and coaxed /and caressed /by the smiles of yesterday. //




I listen //vainly//




but with thirsty ears//




for the witching melody //of faint bugles //blowing reveille//




of far drums //beating the long roll. //




In my dreams//




I hear again /the crash of guns//the rattle of musketry//




the strange//mournful /mutter of the battlefield. //




But /in the evening of my memory//




always //I come back //to West Point. //




Always //there echoes /and re-echoes: /Duty/HonorCountry. /




Today //marks /my final /roll call /with you//




but I want you to know //that when I cross the river//




my last /conscious thoughts //will be/




of The Corps//and The Corps//and The Corps. //





I bid you /farewell. //




No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured

Duty Honor Country - Audio (P26-30)