Pages

Thursday, August 2, 2018

Duty Honor Country - Audio (P01 - 03)




General Westmoreland//General Grove//distinguished guests//and gentlemen/ of the Corps!///




As I was leaving the hotel this morning///




a doorman asked me/"Where are you bound forGeneral?"///




And when I replied"West Point" he remarked"Beautiful place. /Have you ever been there before?"///




No human being //could fail to be deeply moved //by such a tribute as this. ///




Coming //from a profession I have served so long//




and a people /I have loved so well//




it fills me /with an emotion /I cannot express. ///




But this award //is not intended primarily /to honor a personality//




but to symbolize /a great /moral code --//




the code /of conduct /and chivalry /of those /who guard /this /beloved land /of culture //and ancient descent./




That //is the animation /of this medallion. /




For all eyes and for all time//it is an expression /of the ethics /of the American soldier. ///




That I should be integrated in this way//




with so /noble an ideal //arouses /a sense of pride /and yet /of humility //which will be with me /always. ///



No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured

Duty Honor Country - Audio (P26-30)

Popular