Pages

Thursday, August 2, 2018

Duty Honor Country - Audio (P01 - 03)




General Westmoreland,//General Grove,//distinguished guests,//and gentlemen/ of the Corps!///




As I was leaving the hotel this morning,///




a doorman asked me,/"Where are you bound for,General?"///




And when I replied,"West Point," he remarked,"Beautiful place. /Have you ever been there before?"///




No human being //could fail to be deeply moved //by such a tribute as this. ///




Coming //from a profession I have served so long,//




and a people /I have loved so well,//




it fills me /with an emotion /I cannot express. ///




But this award //is not intended primarily /to honor a personality,//




but to symbolize /a great /moral code --//




the code /of conduct /and chivalry /of those /who guard /this /beloved land /of culture //and ancient descent./




That //is the animation /of this medallion. /




For all eyes and for all time,//it is an expression /of the ethics /of the American soldier. ///




That I should be integrated in this way//




with so /noble an ideal //arouses /a sense of pride /and yet /of humility //which will be with me /always. ///



No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured

Duty Honor Country - Audio (P26-30)